Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Tuesday Tattlings

The Incredible Hulk is a good flick. You can read about it by clicking on the poster. Since I had not been out of the house for two days I decided to go to it at the last minute tonight. It was supposed to start at 8:00 - Of course, I had to sit through 20 minutes of previews. And they seem to tailor the previews to be the type of movie that people who come to see the Hulk will want to see. My cousin would have called that good marketing.

I was interested in this comment from the Wikepedia Article"

The Hulk character and the concepts behind it have been raised to the level of iconic status by many within and outside the comic book industry. ...

The Hulk is often viewed as a reaction to war. As well as being a reaction to the Cold War, the character has been a cipher for the frustrations the Vietnam War raised, and Ang Lee said that the Iraq War influenced his direction. In the Michael Nyman edited edition of The Guardian, Stefanie Diekmann explored Marvel Comics' reaction to the September 11, 2001 attacks. Diekmann discussed The Hulk's appearance in the comic book Heroes, claiming that his greater prominence, alongside Captain America, aided in "stressing the connection between anger and justified violence without having to depict anything more than a well-known and well-respected protagonist
I made some connections between the movie and the book I am reading. Right now with the frustrations we are feeling as a nation about an unjust war we are searching for heroes again. Davis says, " over the past several decades, American men have bought into a notion that an image of manhood can be depicted on the screen easier and safer than in real life". Hollywood is filling that need with larger than life comic book heroes.

The action in the film was "straw chewing" exciting. And it was fun to see Robert Downey, Jr. do a Cameo at the end alluding to the sequel which will, most likely, combine several of these characters into a "group" which Marvel Comics already has formed.

Speaking of comics. I used to devour comics. I read tons of them as a kid. In fact reading comics probably helped me to learn how to read. I read all of the Superman and Batman comics. Was intrigued by the idea of Tarzan who was raised in the jungle by the great apes and could swing from tree to tree. I also loved the Walt Disney Comics especially Uncle Scrooge who used to take baths in his huge vat of money. I used to go to Dixon's Drugs after school to wait for my mom to get off work. I would get a coke or a green river and some fries and read comics until she got off work and picked me up to take me home.

At home I would read these colorful books and if you spoke to me I would be concentrating and would not hear you. It wasn't even selective deafness. I just did not hear you at all. Later I "graduated" to regular books but I never would put down reading comics. Actually anything which will get kids reading is a good thing. I used to tell parents that Harry Potter Books were good for their kids to read because it "grabbed" the kids and pulled them into the world of reading. Whatever will get you in there is worth reading.

I still remember Austin. I had brought in some of my science fiction books to put on the shelf I think they were the Piers Anthony Xanth series. Any way some of the kids, Austin in particular, started reading these books. Austin had never read a book cover to cover before he read these books. Now he reads everything voraciously. The Nancy Drew Books, the Hardy Boys, somewhat simple and formulaic but whatever they will read that will get them reading is OK. In fact more than OK.

Well, I see I have done it again. Gone off on a ramble. Hope you found something of interest in my mutterings. If not, come back later. There might be something to read,

Oh by the way the Des Moines Scottish Rite has a newely designed Web Site. It was done by Brother Trevor Owens before he left to go to New York (by way of New Hampshire and China) Go take a look here. And, as usual, Always Remember That You Are Loved, Hugs, j-bear

1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

comics have always captured our hopes and fears, our dark side too.