Saturday, August 8, 2009

Julie and Julia

Meryl Streep - what can I say? She nails the part of Julia Child. Meryl Streep is the consummate actress. She is a giant of the screen.

Amy Adams - I have seen her work with Ms Streep before in Doubt. In this film she also nailed her part. Both women know how to act...how to become their character. I was not watching Meryl Streep on the screen I was watching Julia and Julie.

I must say I enjoyed this film much more than I did Doubt. I was surprised at the size of the audience at the first showing this afternoon. I got there just at 1:30 for the 1:35 showing and was afraid I would have to sit down front. Fortunately "my" seat was not taken and I got to sit in the back (on the left) and I settled in just as a preview for yet another Meryl Streep film was showing on the screen (with Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin). I am looking forward to seeing that one in November (I think) and there is a Sandra Bullock film on the horizon also (one that promises to be a two box of Kleenex heart warmer) so I did not mind the previews.

I had read about J&J and seen the actresses on TV "shilling" and I expected it to be a movie that would appeal mostly to women (Chick Flick) . I was not surprised that the majority of the attendees this afternoon were women. I, of course, enjoyed it tremendously. After all it was about food and blogging and had two of my favorite actresses in it backed up by two very good male actors who played their husbands.

I won't tell you the story. You can read about it here if you wish. There are links to stories about the actresses and the movie in that article if you want to explore further. Just know that I think you will enjoy the experience and I highly recommend the film.

I went to the grocery store after the film to get "grazing" material for my house and as I was checking out I visited with the checker and the bagger. I mentioned that I had been to see the movie and the young man who was sacking my groceries (in my cloth bags which I brought with me (points please)) said he had seen it last night. I imagine he went with his girl friend but I did not go into that with him as he proceeded to tell me how much he had enjoyed the film and how surprised he was that he had enjoyed it so much. So there you have it two endorsements. I hope you go see it and let me know what you thought.

And for a third endorsement go read Ur-Spo's take on the film at Spo Reflections. He mentioned the blogging aspect of the film which I found to be an intriguing part of the story also as I am a blogger (Well, duh, Jay that is obvious.). Julie was written about in the Christian Science Monitor in 2003 (I think) and her blog is still on line if you want to read it. I have started reading it and find it delightful. You can find it here.

Thanks for stopping by, ARTYAL. Hugs, j

1 comment:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Thanks for the review. My husband asked me the other day if I'd like to go see it. We'll probably go in a week or so. We finally saw Harry Potter 6 yesterday. (Loved it.)