Thursday, August 20, 2009

Max and a Rant


Max needs some good thoughts. He has been lethargic and losing weight (about 10 pounds in the last month.) I took him up to the vet yesterday. He is still there. He seems to have a problem with his kidney. He is dehydrated and they are giving him an IV to hydrate him. They aren't sure what the cause is. He had a canine tooth pulled in June and it seems to have been since then that this has happened.

They called this morning and said they are trying to get him to eat and that they think he will be able to come home on a kidney diet and maybe with medicine. It is lonely around here. Bailey misses his brother and Jon and I do too. So if you can spare some good thoughts for him it will be appreciated. Max belongs to Jon and he lives at my house and he is nuts about my sister also. They are also going to x-ray him to see what else might be happening.

I picked up Trevor at the airport this morning. He is here from New York to visit his girlfriend who just got back from her home in China. It was good to see him. We had breakfast at Perkins and then I brought him to Ames. We are hoping to go to Black Market Pizza while he is here.

I was driving in Des Moines on Tuesday and heading east on University. I was coming up to make a turn to go to the gas station. (Gas is about 10 cents a gallon cheaper in Des Moines so I get my gas when I am down there.) Some woman in a van with a "Baby on Board" sign was in the third lane over and turned across two lanes to get into the turn lane and then turned and immediately turned to the gas station. She pulled up to the first pump and stopped. (forget about the fact that there were two open pumps ahead of her) and got out to go in to get the gas pump started. (If there was a Baby on Board she left him or her unattended in the van) all the time stuffing a sandwich in her mouth and talking on a cell phone. She came out put about two dollars worth of gas in her van and then sped out of her place without regard to anyone around her. - There I got that out of my system.

Then someone got my goat on Facebook by writing:
"barney frank is an idiot he was one of the senators that caused the mortgage crisis and now they cant take critisisim on the government run health care oh i am sorry there calling it coop this week. its a bad idea and the most recent poll has 54%of people think they shouldent do any thing."
You know this type of person are like the ones who are going out to disrupt the Town Hall meetings which Representatives and Seators are holding. They are really good examples of the Republican "No Child Left Behind" Educational System.

Barney Frank is not a Senator. And "I" referring to one's self is capitalized. Can't needs an apostrophe to show the missing letter. There should have been they're. (I used to make my students write the sentence "They're going to put their apples over there." every time they misused the word.

Someone later commented that there was no difference between Representatives and Senators and it didn't matter whether or not you spelled things correctly. I disagree with that and if you want you can read a fine essay about it here. The big mouthed person in the picture probably has no idea that she is totally using the wrong word on her sign.

She obviously is not Thomas Jefferson's daughter who received this advice from her father:

"Take care that you never spell a word wrong. Always before you write a word, consider how it is spelled, and, if you do not remember, turn to a dictionary."
So my advice is:
















Go back to school. Use spell check and make sure to have someone proofread.

Oh and the poll cited. - Check your facts!

Fifty-eight percent of respondents said "extremely important." Nineteen said "quite important": a total of 77 percent. The rest of respondents said the choice of a public option was not important or weren't sure.
That would only be 23% that said it wasn't important. The date of the poll - August 20. And Co-op not coop. Coop is where you keep chickens...

Now, I have that off my chest. So, as always, thanks for stopping by. Hugs, j

3 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Sending warm thoughts to Max. Smokey joins me.

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

Thank you both.

Dianne said...

we are all thinking of Max
Mia especially, she has been thru this
she lost 1/2 her body weight
she had a seizure
it took weeks and many tests to find the kidney issue

she wants Max to know that her new diet and her meds are working
she is comfy and happy

I loved your rants