Saturday, August 22, 2009

Swing Vote


I did not see the Kevin Costner movie Swing Vote when it first came out. It is about a man in Texaco, New Mexico who gets to cast the deciding vote in the presidential election. Costner plays a man who is thrust into the national spotlight and is wooed by the two men running for president. I enjoyed it a lot but what resonated the most to me was in the final debate scene Costner tells the candidates -

We need someone who is bigger than their speeches. The kind of president we learned about in school and we still care. America needs a big thinker. you know, like a giant, really. Someone who has the good sense to get in front of our problems. Someone who has the wisdom to lead us to a place where we are at peace with ourselves and the world....


Then he reads a letter that asks a question "If we are the richest country in the world, how come so many of us can barely afford to live here?"

I think that it is a question that needs asking and I think it is time the politician got off their rhetoric and started performing. They need to forget about their corporate donors and start taking care of individuals and their families and do what is best for them. I read in blogs and know personally folks who are losing their homes. People who can barely make ends meet. People who work two or more jobs in order to have any kind of a living standard at all. And others have an excess and get millions of dollars of "bonus payments" and somehow I don't think it is fair. Anybody have an answer?

1 comment:

Raven said...

Amen! Well said! I wish I had an answer. Banning TV news might help... and of course taking money out of elections so that the insurance and oil and drug companies couldn't buy Congress....

I don't understand the world, to be honest. It makes me cranky that people are so greedy and so gullible both.

Hope Max is doing better.