Friday, August 28, 2009

Maximus Murphy Cole (Max) - January 12, 2001 - August 28, 2009 R. I. P.


When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

And this was written by a dear friend John Klaus.

After the Final Trip

Do not despair, my dearest friend.
That final office you performed
Could not extinguish this bright flame,
My fiercely burning, loving soul.

Yours was the power. You used it well.
An instant. Then the pain was gone.
Oh, dearest friend, my soul stayed there.
I heard your gentle words of love.

Do not grieve overmuch, my friend.
If bitter tears should dim your eyes,
I'll help to wipe that dew away,
I'll help replace it with a smile.

An ancient English legend tells
That animals, on Christmas Eve,
Precisely at the stroke of twelve,
Can speak as humans, and converse

Amongst themselves, or with mankind.
So, were it now that magic hour,
And I could speak my heart to you,
I'd give you this to understand:

The flesh you knew, it is no more.
My spirit, though, lives on in you.
If you should sense me close at hand,
Then you must know that I am there.

If, not rememb'ring I am gone,
You stretch your hand to stroke my head,
Then I am where I've always been,
Beside you, if not there in flesh.

And, should you see my lonely bed
Now empty, as it's never been
Through all the time I've spent with you,
Or come upon my well-used lead,

Or find my now-dry water bowl,
Or see the dish from which I ate,
And weep because my form is gone,
I am there, too, though I'm unseen.

I am not dead. My spirit lives
So long as you remember me.
Throughout your life I'll stay with you
As close as thought, or breath, or smile.

My most important job in life
Was giving you my deepest love.
That task is more important now.
I'm with you always, now as then.

Nor, when you, too, shall leave the earth,
Will I leave you alone in death.
My love transcends this mortal sphere,
And, when you die, we'll meet once more.

My spirit now is free to roam
Throughout the earth, the skies, the stars,
But I prefer to stay by you,
To live deep in your heart and mind.

My earthly body, true, is gone,
Returned to earth, from whence it came.
But my eternal body lives,
And loves, and waits for your embrace.

With all grief past, my dearest friend,
When we shall meet on distant shore,
We two, transfigured, young again,
Will cross the Rainbow Bridge to heaven.

So don't despair, my dearest friend!
Grieve briefly, and then live your life
Aware, and fully, to the end.
My life has surely showed you how.

Your ev'ry moment is a gift.
Take full advantage of each hour.
Yes! Live! Love! Share your many gifts!
And that, my friend, I learned from you!

Then, when you lay your burden down,
And when we two meet face-to-face,
Eternity we'll have to share!
My soul lives in your heart 'til then.

I've given all my heart to you,
My dearest friend. It's all I have.
Oh! Treat it gently! Hold it close!
And some day bring it back to me!

11 comments:

kenju said...

I'm sorry, Jay.

Dianne said...

Hugs Jay

kt.chris said...

Max barked at me when I dropped a cap off at your house once. Not an angry or threatening bark, but a majestic "I'm here and you must acknowledge me" bark. Rest in peace, Max. John Klaus's words were comforting.

Anonymous said...

Very sorry, Jay.

RIP Max.

John Shuck said...

Thinking of you, Jay. RIP Max.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Was over at Mad Priest's where I read about Max. I'm truly sorry for your loss and my thoughts are with you.

That Other Jean said...

Even when it's absolutely the right thing to do, it's so hard. I'm very sorry.

Catherine said...

Yes, I know too the bittersweetness of doing what is best for our furred friends and how hard the doing is for us. I had to go through the same thing with my Shih Tzu, Dragon. Understanding this pain of loss and letting go...it is never an easy thing, but it is the least selfish thing. Peace be with you and yours during this time of grief and loss.

Aghaveagh said...

So sorry. It's tough to let go. You did the right thing. We lost our beloved Grendel almost a year ago and I still think of him everyday. But now it's with loving fondness.

Unknown said...

Jay, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Denise and I still get all verklempt for our companions, Arwen and Gwen.

June Butler said...

Very nice tribute to Max, Jay. It's tough. I know that you miss him. It's hard when it's not even my pet. My son's Babs was such a sweet dog.