Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Max - Update

Ginny sent this picture of Max and Jon, She writes:
Memories of Max keep coming back to mind.

He was great with the people we visited twice a month at Northcrest. He was never aggressive with them, he jumped on their beds and they would laugh, pet him, share stories of their dogs. Remember how he "knew" where I was when you brought him to see me at the hospital after my accident? When I came home he always stayed close to me when I was having a rough day too.


I did take him down to the hospital after she had her accident and broke her back. Max had never been to a hospital before but he pulled the leash over to the elevator and walked ahead of me to her room. He is a very special dog and Jon is finding it very hard to give him up. Max is comfortable but sort of just lying around while Jon is at class. He drinks water from a dish with crushed ice and seems to like that.

Max was a barker and he would bark at me when I emptied the diswasher, and when I would get out of my chair and when the meter man came to read the meter or the boy came to mow the lawn. I find that no matter how annoying that was at the time I miss him barking at me. He was a lovely friend to have around the house and I am going to miss him a lot.

3 comments:

DonM said...

It doesn't matter how much they bark, or generally how obnoxious they might be, letting go of a dog is tough, really tough, even devastating. That's because they really do become that best friend that even a best human friend can never be. In their eyes, you are always right; you are always there for them, so they are always there for you. You can tell them all those troubles and secrets, and they never, ever, pass them on. You can cuss at them for barking, or throwing up on the rug, or whatever, and shortly after, they are back being your best friend. They totally live in the present. And while it is good to have memories, and while it is prudent to look and plan forward to the possibile future, we all could do well to spend more ilfe in the present. Don't fret about what happened yesterday, 'cause it's over and we cannot do anything about it. Don't worry (too much)about what will happen tomorrow, because tomorrow may not come. Enjoy life today, because that is what we have.

Raven said...

I missed your last report on Max. I'm so sorry to hear the news. I know my cats are my children. My sympathies.

John said...

DonM and I have discussed such matters with each other--and you know how much both of us love our own animals. I also sent you lots of things privately.

What Don says is absolutely true. You and your family are also not alone at this time of sorrow.