Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

Several years ago I took a beautiful hanging basket out to the cemetery to put on my Mother's grave. I know she is not there but it is a place where I can go to remember and honor her.  

The Ames Cemetery is a beautiful place and Mother is buried close to other members of my family.

I took it out on a Sunday so that it would be there all day.  When I went out to get it on Monday evening it was gone.  Someone had stolen it.  I was not happy.  So since then I don't put flowers on her grave anymore.  Instead I make a donation to Youth and Shelter Services in her memory.  In my opinion that is a much better use for the money and she would have agreed.  Several years ago I asked her if she wanted me to buy a brick for her on the "Plaza of Heroines" they were putting at Iowa State University.  She told me she would rather the money went to help someone who needed it. 

So while I honor the concept of Memorial Day - some thief who stole a tribute from my Mother's grave stole more than the flowers.  But I guess in stealing that flower they gave me a much finer tradition to follow.  So tomorrow I will stop by YSS and make my donation and that will be much more meaningful to me and to her.   ARTYAL -  Hugs,  j-bear

1 comment:

Dianne said...

I just realized I merged my comments to this post into my comment to the next post.

It's gonna be one of those days.