Monday, May 5, 2008

Monday Movie/ Odds and Ends

Since this is "Old Farts" night at the movie I went to the movie. I would rather have been doing something else but this gets me out of the house and lets me forget some things for awhile. So I went down to Movies 12 and went to a movie. I chose to see Deception. The plot description is:
An accountant is introduced to a mysterious sex club known as The List by his lawyer friend. But in this new world, he soon becomes the prime suspect in a woman's disappearance and a multi-million dollar heist

I watched Ewan McGregor on Craig Ferguson the other night shilling for his new movie Deception. Hugh Jackman, Michelle Williams and Lisa Gay Hamilton are also in this sometimes slow moving but generally satisfying movie. Hugh Jackman gets the top billing in this film and he does a fine job but McGregor is really the central actor and I think he does an outstanding job. I really enjoy this actor. I first became aware of him when I saw him in Moulin Rouge with Niclole Kidman. I fell in love with the music in that movie even though I thought the movie itself was somewhat strange.

So I am glad I went. You can read a more critical review here if you are interested.

In other news
I started reading a book today that was given to me by a good friend. Great American Hypocrites (Toppling the Big Myths of Republican Politics) I have already discovered that I like the book and it is really opening my eyes to the hypocrisy of the party that claims to want to keep government out of our lives. It brings up how "false and deceitful and artificial are these 'Republican Values' and personality attributes that they concoct for themselves. This Old Democrat is going to enjoy this book.

I got my Scottish Rite Master Craftsman course and the book that came with it was fully worth the money I paid for the course. It is the Scottish Rite Ritual Monitor and Guide by Arturo De Hoyos. The book has 950 pages. It has a cover price of $65.00 and the course only cost $35 (plus shipping and handling.) My biggest problem is going to find the time to do it. I spend so much time blogging and reading blogs that I don't know if I will move through it very fast.

My friend Kurt has already done two of the tests. But then he is highly motivated. He calls himself nerdy but actually he is one of the coolest most genuine people I know. I have been giving him a hard time about getting me involved in this endeavor and I think he thought I was serious. I am such a merde. Teasing has always been something I like to do. Used to drive my students wild.

Jon was over so we could go up to Sprint to get his phone activated. He lost his phone at the Doolittle Prairie and bought a new one on e-bay. While we were there I got a new one for me. No reason except that I really didn't like the one I had. I told Jon what my grandfather once said when I bought something I didn't need. He said "A fool and his money are soon parted." I told Jon that I intended to spend everything I had. Anyway I really like the new phone. The young man at the Sprint store transferred all of my numbers to the new phone using bluetooth. Jon lost his contacts with his phone so he will have to rebuild his list.

I also got a hands free bluetooth device so I can wear it when I drive and be able to talk on the phone. I hate it when I see people driving slowly down the street with one hand up to their ear and not paying attention.

Then while he hung the new Bamboo shade for me I swept the porch and all that remains is to wash down the table and chair and put some plants out there and I will be ready to really enjoy the place. The reason for the shade is that the fellow who jives just to the south of me cut down the hedge and I lost all my privacy. People driving by on 13th street can see into my house. I am not a happy camper about that but they were his bushes.

Jon is riding his bike around. It takes him 17 minutes to get to work. He got a new seat for his bike and I was glad to see that he wears a helmet. I am so very proud of him. When he talks about the things at his job I can tell he has a good grasp of business and he has some really good ideas about how to run a food business. He is thinking that if he doesn't go to Purdue until 2009 he might apply for work at the Memorial Union. Gas is 2.49 a gallon (or $2.42) and it is very crummy.

The trees what flower are almost fully flowering right now. I am going to try to get some pictures of them. I go see the foot doctor tomorrow. I think I have been fighting this sore on my large toe for about a year. I would like for it to be healed, please.

I hope that everyone is having a good life. I am still fighting periodic bouts of sadness and I don't like that but there isn't much I can do about it. Always Remember That You Are Loved (unless your name is John McSame) - Hug someone - j-bear.


2 comments:

Kurt said...

Jay,

What a great entry. Many of us are frustrated with what those in government are doing. I read another great book on the subject, Naomi Wolf's End of America. It's a short, easy read (about 150 pages or so), yet very eye-opening. Check it out.

I know you love to give me a rough time, and I need it.

I love my Bluetooth headset (although I need to recharge the battery), it makes things much easier and safer. It's worth the money to invest in a good one, for battery life (I can go a couple of months between charges), and the elimination of background/ road noise. So, do some shopping around before you buy.

Sounds like your backyard is coming along nicely, I can't wait to see pictures of your outdoor paradise.

Keep things coming!

Kurt

Dianne said...

I'm going to check out that book.

LOL at "unless you're John McSame"