Thursday, May 15, 2008

Thursday Thoughts

This is Acacia Fraternity where I went tonight to pick up Brother Trevor. Acacia Fraternity has the best GPA at Iowa State. The guys playing Frisbee on the front lawn came over to see why I was taking pictures of them. The Fraternity used to be affiliated with the Masonic Lodge and you had to be a Mason to belong to the Fraternity. Our Worshipful Master Jeremy is their Advisor. They told me that they call him their House Mom. I was very impressed with all of them. We need to build and maintain our relationship with this fine group of men.
After the picnic I drove by McFarland Clinic and saw this tree - I had to take a photo of it to share. Right now no matter where you drive there is beauty to see. I love living in Iowa, especially in May and June.
These two are also at McFarland Clinic.
C. Y. Stephens Auditorium is a wonderful asset for Iowa State. Lots of great shows. This is where the Lodge went to see "The Producers" earlier this year.
Another view of the area around C. Y. Stephens.

Last night I had a horrible time going to sleep. I got up at 2:30 and was up until 3:30. It was not fun. Things running around in my head and regrets and thinking. Ever have a night like that" No fun. Fortunately when I did get to sleep the boys let me sleep in until 8:15. I have been kind of dragging all day.

I did the usual things this morning. Read my blog and e-mail visited with Kurt Hoffman and Tim Bonney. We are working to start a new Lodge in Iowa. There will be more about it as it develops. It is really kind of exciting. The concept is a Lodge where we return to some of the practices of early Masonry with study of philosophy, education as well as striving for a more formal meeting and excellence of experience for all involved.

I also got a letter out for the Red Cross of Constantine to let people know who we will be balloting on for membership in the order. This group is one of the most prestigious groups in all of Masonry. I have always said that it was a greater honor for me to be asked to join St. Bartholomew Conclave than it was to have been Grand High Priest. I have been Recorder of our Conclave for 23 years and I enjoy the job. Unfortunately there is now a problem and I am not enjoying it as much as I used to. It is no fun to have to be around someone who obviously doesn't like you and does not appreciate what you have done. So I am considering making some changes. But enough of that. You really aren't interested.

I did have a wonderful time at the picnic. One of our Brothers originally joined a Prince Hall Lodge. He is a great guy and Arcadia is lucky to have him. Prince Hall Lodges began in the early years of our country and Prince Hall was a black man who was initiated into Masonry. He later obtained a Charter from the United Grand Lodge of England and all Prince Hall Lodges are descended from that Lodge. They have always been recognized.

Picture by Doug Petty

The other American Lodges broke away from the United Grand Lodge and, in essence, became self-constituted Lodges. I think that perhaps, we are legitimate now but there is that break in our history.

Some southern states still do not recognize their Prince Hall counterparts. A fact I personally find disgraceful. One of our Brothers (Charles Martin) is about to be expelled from Masonry because one of his Grand Lodges (Kentucky) does not recognize Prince Hall Masons. His trial is May 23 and he writes to me that he will be expelled. Because Kentucky will expel him he will also be expelled from his Lodge in New York State. No matter that New York recognizes its Prince Hall Lodge if he gets kicked out in one he gets kicked out in another. IT IS NOT RIGHT. I am personally of the opinion that Iowa should drop recognition of all of the racist states who have not recognized their Prince Hall Lodges.

If you watched the TV coverage of Mrs. Clinton's victory in West Virginia you saw the raw face of that racism. When will people realize that God created all people? Everyone is worthy of our love and respect especially about things that they cannot help. I refuse, however, to respect or honor those ignorant people who will not move forward from prejudice. The thing that makes a difference between the color of my skin and Brother Aaron's is a tiny, tiny gene that is so small that it can't be seen without the aid of an electron microscope. What a tiny thing to have caused so large and hurtful a problem Grow up people!

I am going to continue to work for full inclusion. Brother (and he will always be my Brother) Charles Martin is in Iraq working a job so that one of our soldiers can be free to do something else. He is sad because he will be expelled from the Lodge in which his father raised him and because there is nothing that can be done about it. I checked and I would have welcomed him into my Lodge but Iowa has the same rule as New York. I hope that some day he will be able to return to Masonry. In the meantime I will boycott Kentucky. I did not watch the Derby and will continue to send my thoughts and prayers to Brother Martin. I am certain that his Ashlar is more fit to be a part of the Temple than those who will expel him. But that is just one Mason's opinion. ARTYAL - Hugs, j

2 comments:

Kurt said...

Great post!

When we fail to recognize our Prince Hall brethren, we disturb the harmony in our Craft. They are truly our brothers, as the same mystic tie unites us both!

Ur-spo said...

good luck with the boycott.
alas, people do not grow up, so i don't have good hopes here.