Sunday, May 11, 2008

My Masonic History


My mother joined the Order of the Eastern Star and suggested to me that I might like to join the Masons. I sort of pooh poohed the idea. I had no experience with a fraternity. At the State College of Iowa (now University of Northern Iowa) where I attended college the fraternities were basically "leather jacket clubs" They weren't allowed to have houses so they built their fraternalisim by wearing distinguishing leather jackets. I had a roommate in college who was a Mason. He didn't impress me. Or at least I should say his being a Mason didn't impress me. But I filed mother's remark away until later.

Later came when I was during my first year of teaching at Linn-Mar schools in Marion, Iowa (1965-66). I noticed the Masonic ring on Dick Benz's hand (He was my first principal) and mentioned it to him. He asked me what I knew about it. I told him that my mother said that I might enjoy being a Mason. That was the "magic" conversation. In the spring of 1966 I became a member of Trojan Lodge #548 in Marion, Iowa. I received my white leather apron and went through the degrees.
E.A - March 17, 1966
F.C – April 7, 1966
M.M. – April 20, 1966
In the fall of 1966 I took a day off from school and drove back to Ames so that I could be initiated into Laura Chapter,Order of the Eastern Star. I thus became a 4th generation member of the Chapter. My great grandmother, grandmother and mother were all members of the Chapter.
I was never "enrolled" in that lodge. I belonged and paid my dues, but the lodge never really "included" me or rather just let me go. I don't remember why but I was involved with teaching or other things such as Community Theater and never seemed to get involved.

After four years of teaching at Linn-Mar circumstances seemed best for me to leave and return to Ames. Mother was having some problems and my moving back here would help her out. My being in Ames meant that I started going to Eastern Star with her and pretty soon I was asked to be an officer. So I got involved. From Sentinel I was asked to go to the West with Magy McClain. Mother had planned to have me go to the West with her the next year. I asked her if it would be all right with her and she said I could. "Doc" Gitz went to the west with her then the next year while I went on to what would be the first of nine times that I served the Chapter as Worthy Patron. The second time was with Mother who was Matron in 1973.

"Doc" Gitz was in the York Rite and he got me interested in joining the York Rite in 1970. Soon after he asked me to be an officer as he was going to be High Priest. I said sure and he made me his Captain of the Host. I had no idea that the office meant that I would go on up to become High Priest myself (1974). I also got offices in the Council and Commandery and eventually became Illustrious Master and Commander. (I also put in a few years as Recorder)

While I was High Priest I had a lot of programs for the ladies after our pot lucks. They enjoyed it and attendance picked up. I affiliated with Arcadia Lodge in Ames and would attend meetings occasionally. Far to often the Master would walk into the room assume his station and never look or speak to anyone on the sidelines. There was little fraternal feeling in the room so I put my energies elsewhere.

Eventually someone in Grand Chapter noticed me and asked me to be a District Deputy Grand High Priest for District # 5. There weren't really any guidelines as to what I should do so I asked my friend Jerry Marsengill about it and he made some suggestions. I had a great year as district Deputy. One of the things we did was to sponsor a district festival with degrees performed by each of the bodies in the district.

Eventually I was asked to hold other offices and then I was asked to take the Grand Captain of the Host Position. From there on I went on to be Grand High Priest in 1981. In 1986 I was asked to be the Chairman of the Jurisprudence Committee for the Grand Chapter, a position I held for 20 years. I also joined the chair degrees of chapter Council and Commandery and was president of the Order of the High Priesthood.

What about the Blue Lodge you may ask? Well that is intertwined into this narrative. I had a great aunt - Erma Simser who lived in California. I had met her several times and she was also a member of Eastern Star. I found out that my great grandfathers and grandfathers had all been Masons (not my father) and so I was writing to her about what I was doing in the York Rite. She wrote back one time and asked me "What are you doing for your Blue Lodge? Well that question got me to thinking. What could I do for my blue lodge. I went to Steve Carr and asked for the only office I have ever asked for in all of Masonry. There was someone he already had in mind but as luck would have it there were two openings in the line that year and so I was able to go in the line as Junior Steward.

During the next six years (I missed the office of Sr. Deacon)  I had the most wonderful experience in my Masonic career. What was I able to do for my Blue Lodge my aunt asked? Well Aunt Erma, here is what I did beyond just filling the stations as I passed through them. I started the "Buck Nite" Family dinners and cooked most of them for three years. These were dinners before the stated meetings and cost $1 each and we broke just about even. They now cost $5. and are still a highlight of the Stated Meeting night. I also began the Masonic Newsletter. At that time all of the bodies participated and I had to gather information from Eastern Star, White Shrine, Amaranth, and the York Rite. It was fun to do and they were printed on legal size paper and were mailed out to all members. Now the Newsletter is put out by the Lodge only and is sent out electronically.

I loved working with the Lodge and eventually I became Master of the Lodge. (The night I was installed as Master my Aunt Jean presented me with my great-grandfather Underwood's Past Master's Jewel.  It is Coin Silver and my most treasured Masonic possession)   While I was Master I presided over a very busy Lodge and a complete revision of the By-laws. One of the By-laws that I put into place requires that the by-laws be reviewed annually. These By-laws required a lot of work. They had never been written down as a separate entity. I went through all of the old minutes to find them and typed them all out - the by-law for who could have keys to the temple took up a page and a half. Then we worked them over and came up with a complete revision. With the annual review they have been kept up to date (except when some Masters ignored them but that is another story.)

I have done a lot Masonically over the years. I have worked in various bodies, helped with youth groups, joined the Scottish Rite (1976) and various appendant bodies. (Someone once asked my Aunt Jean why she belonged to so many organizations and she answered "So I can have a longer obituary.") I joined many of them because someone asked me to join and I have enjoyed most of them. I joined partially because I was curious and also because they all are a place to serve. I have never joined them so I could be the "big wheel" I joined because it was a place to do something and in that doing to grow myself and to help others.

I was also asked to be the head of the Iowa conference for Masonic Cooperation and while I was that I thought up and started and presented the first T.S. Parvin award. ( I know I have mentioned that before but I am very proud of it.) Doing that has given me great satisfaction over the years as I have seen these finest of Masons honored for their work That is something I did for my Lodge.

In Masonry you meet a lot of people. You don't always get really close to all of them but there is a bond there like no other. Sometimes you invest in someone and they disappoint you but eventually you get past it. One way or another. Mostly the guys in Masonry are a cut above the rest of society and most of them are there for self improvement and service.

Over the years I have received some honors and been asked to join some groups that are invitation only. To see a list of everything you can go here.
With those honors and jobs come titles, lapel pins, etc. There is (as I have said before) only one title that counts and that is the title of Brother. That is what we are. Brothers under the Fatherhood of God and that is all you need.

I am just going to single one of those honorary organizations out. In October of 1981 when I was Grand High Priest I was installed into St. Bartholomew Conclave of the Red Cross of Constantine. In 1985 I was elected Recorder of the Conclave and except for the year I was Viceroy and Sovereign I have held that position ever since. (Actually, the year I was Sovereign I still did the Recorder's work.) So I have done this for 23 years. Right now I am not sure I am going to continue as an active member for much longer.

I am serving as Secretary of Arcadia Lodge for now. I took over in September of 2006 for Don when he had back problems and was elected for 2007 and still have that position. I promised I would hold it for a couple of years until Jeremy is able to take it over.

Over the years I have done a lot. I have enjoyed most of it. My fraternity is the center of my life. I have done other things, professionally and personally. Not always as much as I might have liked but mostly I have had a good time doing it. Now things are not really as much fun as they used to be - things change. It makes me sad. I have had a long career of service and giving - it is part of my nature to give. When that is thrown back in my face it is probably time to reconsider what I am doing and let others do them.

I hope you have enjoyed this little "stroll down memory lane" with me. Take it for what it is some old fart trying to justify why he put so much time and energy into something. My friend Jerry once told me that he wished he had not put so much effort into Masonry. I think I am beginning to understand him. Jerry was a guy you either loved or hated. He was the type of giant in Masonry who had a lot of people who were jealous of his accomplishments and often reviled him. I loved him. I honor him every chance I get. But I know that deep down inside there were things which bothered him. In that I guess we are more alike than different. As my friend Dave says when he signs off. Enough for now. Hugs, j

No comments: